Originally built as a place of worship in 1885 by the Methodist Episcopal Church, the building is perhaps best known as the home of the women's social club of Ukiah - the Saturday Afternoon Club. The Ukiah chapter was founded as a literary social club in 1904. For years the group met in members’ homes, but in 1927 the club bought what is now known as The Saturday Afternoon Clubhouse.
Its members were women leaders in their community and the club was the first nonprofit corporation for women in the area.
The Saturday Afternoon Club’s members were responsible for bringing the public library to Ukiah and for numerous civic beautification projects. The club has been influential in the social, cultural, and civic life of Ukiah, bringing the PTA, WWI bonds, Red Cross support, Women’s Suffrage, and Neigborhood-City Cleanup to the city of Ukiah.